Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Patterson and SWBTS

Here are Wade Burleson's orginal posts and a robust debate as you sort through the comments here
and here.

Brother John Barcanic also had some well said insights about forwarding of questionable info (which disappeared from my email no less), and I too wonder why CT would post/publish anything without direct confirmation or sources. For full(er) disclosure here is the relevant transcript from the cited February 2009 interview with Paige Patterson

Tim Rogers [pastor of Ebenezer Baptist Church in Indian Trail, NC] - "Have economic challenges been used as an excuse to weed out certain professors at Southwestern who hold to a particular soteriolgical viewpoint to which you disagree? Is there any truth to that rumor?"

Patterson - "I certainly hope not. I've lived my entire life as life in a goldfish bowl, and as boldly as I know how to do it. We're not certain at all that we're going to have to eliminate any professors. We've been working very very hard to cut everything else in the world so we don't have to cut professors and we don't know yet what we're going to have to do, but we're hopeful that we don't have to cut any professors. If we do, I will not use a screen to do that with. Every decision I make with regard to faculty will be made with a view to assisting the school to be the best school it can possibly can be. We have every conceivable soteriological view on the campus in terms of 5 pointer Calvinism, or 1 pointers or 2 pointers or 3 pointers or 4 pointers or 5 pointers. I will say this, Southwestern will not build a school in the future around anybody who could not look anybody in world the eyes and say "Christ died for your sins". If there is a problem there then I believe there is a problem that Southern Baptists would not want to fund, and so if that would be the case I wouldn't be hiding behind a screen of economic matters if I had to deal with that. And, God willing, if He is gracious to us and God's people continue to give then we won't have to lay off anybody else. That's what we are praying for."

The "look you in the eye and say Christ died for your sins" quote is a pretty clear rejection of limited atonement. A deal breaker for professorship?

No comments: